Learning doesn’t have to stop when you leave school, most people go on to further education. With the success of my author workshops, I was invited to Southport College for the morning, giving me the chance to speak to older students.
It was completely different to what I experienced in secondary school but no less fun. I had great feedback and received suggestions about what else the students would have liked me to have taught them. So, with that in mind, I have set up a dedicated college author workshop.
The students in Southport were all considering what to do next in their careers, be it teachers or whether to study for degrees in English Literature. I feel my workshop is ideal for students considering these options.
What do I offer in my college author workshop?
My workshop is flexible, fitting to the needs of the college. I offer two types of workshop:
- Creative Writing: I’ll show students how to create story ideas
- 1st Line Hooks: I’ll talk about grabbing a reader’s attention from the start!
- Characters: Stories are great, but they’re nothing without three-dimensional characters
- Story Starters: By the end of the workshop the students will have their own ideas for what stories they would like to write!
Some students prefer a talk and not creative writing exercises, so:
- Introduction: I’ll talk about how I started as an author
- Workshop Talk: I’ll guide students through what I do in schools, giving them tips on what captures the children’s imaginations
- Reading: I’ll do a reading from my book and show them what I do that makes children laugh
- Q&A: A Q&A!
I can do a mix of the two too, but that will depend on how long I have on the day.
How much do I charge?
I have two price guides, which are as follows:
- One lesson/Half Day: £90 + travel expenses (depending on location, to be discussed.)
- Full Day: £150
- £60 – The workshop and the opportunity for students to buy one of my books on the day.
I am happy to contact the local press about my visit if the college is satisfied with this. This has worked with my other workshops and gains brilliant exposure.
Visits Already Books/Visited
|#1||2nd November 2016||Southport College||Southport|
|#2||30th January 2017||Tameside College||Tameside, Manchester|
|#3||18th April 2017||Oldham College||Oldham|
|#4||26th April 2017||Loreto College||Manchester|
If you would be interested in a workshop, get in touch, it would be great to meet you!