Carbon Taxes: An Opportunity for Conservatives
Author: Irwin Stelzer
Format: Kindle Edition
Publisher: Hudson Institute
Release Date: March 15, 2011
Forget about the battle over global warming. The earth either is or isn’t warming. If it is,
that is either the result of human activity or it isn’t. If it is the result of human activity, either an American initiative will shame China and India into following suit, or it won’t.
No matter. The appropriate policy towards carbon emissions has little or nothing to do with those controversies, or at least should not for conservatives. They should focus on multiple opportunities to advance the conservative agenda:
• advance national security interests by reducing dependence on oil imports;
• stem the flow of dollars to the bad guys;
• lower taxes on jobs;
• eliminate the rationale for subsidizing uneconomic energy sources;
• reduce the drive for regulation of the energy economy;
• gain a revenue source that might be needed when the grand bargain over entitlements is struck.